Everytime we have eggplants, the first thing that always comes to mind is Torta. I just love the taste of the eggplant with egg combination. And my condiments of choice are either plain old ketchup or fresh tomatoes doused with patis and lemon juice. Yumm!
I recently posted my Tuna Sisig recipe because my hubby bought an 8-can pack of solid white tuna in Costco. I still have a few left and my thinking cap has been on lately because I have more time to do some recipe testing because everyone’s home. So, I thought of adding a crunchy element (and some much needed protein) to my regular “Tortang Talong”. I did it a few times to be sure everything’s on point and now I can totally say that this recipe is a keeper and will be a part of my regular menu.
I made it more exciting, healthier and in our opinion, yummier! Try it and let me know what you think.
Eggplant Omelet with Crunchy Tuna
- 1 large asian eggplant roasted whole and peeled*
- 1 whole egg beaten
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 small plum tomato diced
- ½ cup cucumbers diced (⅓ of an English cucumber)
- 1 184 g solid light canned tuna well drained**
- ⅓ cup cornstarch***
- Cooking oil for frying
- 1 Tablespoon Fish sauce I use Three Crabs brand
- Juice of half a lemon
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Gently flatten the eggplant using a fork and sprinkle a pinch of salt on it. Pour the beaten egg and coat the eggplant.
- Combine the diced tomatoes and cucumber in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan and add about 3-4 tablespoons of cooking oil. Fry the eggplant on medium heat, turning halfway once the other side is golden. Drain on a paper-towel lined plate and set aside.
- Place the well-drained tuna in a large bowl and dredge carefully with cornstarch, making sure it’s evenly coated to prevent splatter while frying. Break the tuna pieces in big chunks for easy coating.
- Heat a small frying pan on medium and add oil reaching about ¼ inch. Once hot enough, add the tuna and fry until golden and crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- To assemble: Place the eggplant omelet on your serving platter. Sprinkle the diced tomatoes and cucumber then top with the crispy-fried tuna pieces. Drizzle with the fish sauce-lemon mixture or serve it on the side.