Since the pandemic started, I haven’t been to the supermarket. My hubby does all the food shopping. There are some ( or a lot ) items he’s not familiar with so I show him how they look like while at home and hope he picks up the right item. There are still hits and misses but they’re getting few and far between and I’m so proud of him for doing this!
This recipe came about because he didn’t realize he picked up a different kind of noodle. I only use this type in making Special Lomi and I haven’t thought of other ways to use it until now. Thanks to him, this dish came about.
Our stir fried Lomi noodles is a simple dish that’s packed with flavor. Try it out! My kids love this so much that I cooked it a couple of times that week.
Stir fried (Lomi) Noodles
- 1 454 g pack thick Shanghai noodles or Lomi noodles quickly rinsed and drained
- ½ lb chicken thighs sliced into thin strips*
- ½ teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 carrots cut into thin strips
- 1 celery thinly sliced
- 1 cup baby spinach** packed
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup water
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the chicken, ginger and soy sauce. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat a wok (or a large pan) and drizzle the canola oil. Add the onion and cook until translucent then add the garlic. After a few seconds, put the marinated chicken in and cook for about 5 minutes or until cooked through. Stir occasionally for even cooking.
- Put the carrots and celery and stir fry for a minute. Next, pour the sauce. Once sauce starts to simmer, add the noodles and spinach.
- Stir fry for another 2 minutes on medium high. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Do not overcook thr noodles. Turn the heat off and serve hot.
**You can substitute sliced bok choy, cabbage, kale , etc for the spinach.