It seems like it’s been Winter for a long time now and to make matters worse, this year is even colder than usual. Getting up in the morning is harder because it still looks dark outside at 7am. Some days, I wish I can just curl up in bed longer than usual (in my PJs) and wake up to a warm and sunny day. Spring, please come sooner!
Food that warms the body, especially hearty soups are very soothing meals during this time of year. We love Lomi but I seldom cook it. It’s because whenever I feel like cooking this dish, there’s always an ingredient or two missing and I don’t like that. It can only satisfy my cravings if all the tastes and textures I expect are there. That’s why I make my own…haha!
- 1 454 g pack Shanghai Noodles Thick or Lomi noodles
- 2 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup ½ lb chicken liver, cut into smaller pieces
- 1 cup ½ lb pork belly, boiled and sliced into small cubes*
- 1 180 g pack fish or squid balls abt 10pcs, halved
- 1 ½ cups carrot strips**
- 1 ½ cups green cabbage cut into small cubes**
- 2 celery sticks cut into ½ inch slices
- 8 cups chicken broth*** I used Better Than Bouillon® Roasted Chicken Base
- ¼ cup cornstarch mixed with ¼ cup water
- 2 eggs beaten
- Patis fish sauce or Salt and Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- Quickly rinse the noodles in cool running water and drain well.
- In a large pot, add the oil and saute the onions followed by the garlic. Add the chicken liver and cook until plump and no longer pink. Be gentle in stirring so the liver keeps its shape. Stir in the pork and fish balls and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook while stirring for a minute. Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the noodles and cabbage. Season with patis and ground black pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes. Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl (mix well) and add to the pot while continuously stirring . Simmer for another 2 minutes to cook the cornstarch. Adjust seasoning one more time and add the beaten eggs while mixing. Turn off heat.
- Serve hot.