Menudo is a Spanish-inspired dish that is very similar to Chicken Apritada and Beef Mechado. All three stews have a tomato-based sauce and common vegetables (potatoes , carrots and bell peppers). That being said, Filipinos have different versions of it depending mostly on the use of tomato or other tomato products. Some use only fresh tomatoes while most either use tomato sauce or paste. I tried all three versions but I like the combination of tomato paste and a bit of fresh tomatoes.
Like Adobo, this tastes better after a day or two in the fridge. That’s why I usually make more than enough for one dinner. The yellow-fleshed Yukon Gold potato is the only kind I buy. It’s creamier and holds its shape better. My kids love ‘em so I put more than norm when I make Menudo.
- 3 – 3 ½ lbs pork shoulder cut into small cubes ( lean and fatty parts separated)
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 3-4 pcs dried bay leaves
- 2 plum tomatoes finely chopped
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 Yukon Gold potatoes cut into small cubes
- 1-2 carrots cut into small cubes
- ½ cup seedless raisins
- 1 large bell pepper seeded and cut into small cubes
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons patis fish sauce I use Three Crabs brand
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Add the soy sauce to the cubed lean parts of the pork and set aside.
- In a large pan (I used a wok), place the fatty parts of the meat (cubed) and add 2 Tablespoons of water. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook on medium-high heat until liquid has evaporated and fat is starting to render.
- Add the chopped onion followed by the garlic. Saute until garlic is lightly browned. Add in the lean meat and bay leaves. Cook on medium-high while stirring until the pork juices have evaporated and you see the oil starting to come out. Add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 tablespoon fish sauce, ground black pepper (to taste) and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil then lower the heat. Simmer until meat is tender, about 30-40 minutes.
- Put the cubed potatoes and carrots and cover . Cook until the potatoes are tender. Add the raisins and bell peppers and cook for 2 more minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve with steamed rice or some like it with Pandesal