We love rice but there are times when we have to slow down on the carbs and make a healthier alternative. Cauliflower is high in fibre, a good source of antioxidant and aids in weight loss, to name a few. That’s why it’s gaining popularity as a carb substitute.
This recipe is very versatile that you can substitute any spice that you want. I try to add different ones but I always go back to this, which is a combination of the spices we like and usually have.
Healthy Cauliflower Rice
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ – 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Grate the cauliflower using the large holes of a grater or you can finely chop with a sharp knife. Line a large colander with 2-3 sheets of paper towel and place the grated cauliflower on top. Leave for at least 10-30 minutes to drain excess moisture.
- Heat the oil in a large shallow pan (preferably nonstick) using medium heat. Add the grated cauliflower and sprinkle the spices evenly on top. Stir well.
- Cook while stirring for 5-8 minutes. Adjust seasoning, if needed. The “rice” should be cooked but still firm.