Sinigang na Bangus sa Miso (Milkfish in Tamarind-Miso Broth)
Everyone has their own favorite Bangus dish. Sinigang na Bangus is one of my fave. The addition of miso gives it another level of tanginess and distinct flavor. You'll like it!
- 1 big bangus abt. 1.5 lbs. cleaned and sliced into 1” pcs
- 1 / 4 cup canola oil for frying plus 1 tablespoon for sauteing
- 1 Tablespoon ginger julienned
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 to 2 tomatoes quartered
- 1 / 4 cup Miso paste mild Japanese miso
- 40 gram Sinigang Mix pack I used Maggi
- 1 bunch Mustard greens Gai Choy or spinach
- 2 pcs Jalapeno or Serrano chilies
- 6 cups water
- Fish sauce to taste (I use the Three Crabs brand)
Fry the bangus slices in 1 / 4 cup oil until lightly browned. Place in a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
Heat a big pot on medium and place the remaining 1 tablespoon oil then add the ginger and onion. Cook for a minute and add the garlic and tomatoes. Smash the tomatoes gently with a wooden spoon against the pot to extract its juices then add the water.
Bring to a boil and stir in the miso and sinigang mix. Simmer for 2 minutes then gently add the fried bangus slices.followed by the chilies and mustard greens.
Season with fish sauce and turn off heat.
Serve hot with warm Jasmine rice.