Sauteed Bean Sprouts with Fried Tofu (Ginisang Toge)
A simple meatless stir fry that’s a delight to eat (and see) and ready in less than 30 minutes.
- 1 pack firm or extra firm tofu drained, sliced thinly and patted dry with paper towels
- 1 lb pack fresh bean or soy bean sprouts rinsed and drained
- 1 carrot cut into thin strips
- ¼ of a small green cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery thinly sliced
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon patis fish sauce I used Three Crabs brand
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 green onion thinly sliced (optional)
Add the oil to a shallow frying pan. Fry the tofu on both sides until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels then sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Set aside.
In a large pan, transfer 2 tablespoons of oil from the oil you used to fry the tofu ( or use olive oil ). Heat then saute onions until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 10 seconds. In goes the carrots, cabbage and celery, ¼ cup water, patis, oyster sauce and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper . Stir fry on medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
Add bean sprouts and stir fry for 1 more minute.
Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed. Turn off heat.