Sweet and with generous amount of sliced hotdog, we guarantee you'll like this Filipino style spaghetti.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions finely diced
- 1 head garlic finely chopped
- 2 lbs or 1 kg lean ground beef
- 1 375 g pack hotdogs sliced into small discs
- 2 medium bell peppers diceld
- 2 796 ml 28oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 796 ml 28oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 156 ml 5.5fl oz can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup white sugar more if preferred
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lbs 1 kg Spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
- Grated cheddar cheese for serving
In a big pot, saute onions (medium heat) in oil until translucent. Add garlic and soften for about 10 seconds. Next, add the ground beef and cook until it’s no longer pink. Put the hotdogs next and cook for 3 -5 minutes. If the ground beef rendered too much oil, remove extra.
Add bell peppers followed by all the canned tomatoes, basil and sugar. Mix to combine and bring to a gentle boil. Once boiling, lower the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes while stirring constantly to prevent the sauce from burning. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Pour sauce over the cooked (and drained) pasta. Top with grated cheese, if desired.
*This recipe is enough for 1 kg (or two 1 lb boxes) of pasta.
**If you’re freezing the sauce, cool completely before placing in a gallon-size Ziploc freezer bag. Take out as much air as possible to prevent freezer burn. When ready to use, transfer to the refrigerator one day before. Heat in a saucepan (until simmering) before pouring on top of cooked Spaghetti.